Cantilever racks are warehouse storage systems made of a series of columns that include arms and durable bases for storing the products of different capacities. Whether you buy a new or used cantilever rack, these racks are an excellent option when you need to store long, heavy and bulky industrial parts. A cantilever rackis easy to install and versatile which can be used to save a lot of space. These racks are easily adjustable to different levels providing you with the ability to store different amounts and sizes of materials. The cantilever racking cost will depend on the type racking dimension and total quantity as well as Loading capacity you expect to store.
Components of cantilever racks
- Upright: Upright are the vertical columns and primary structural component of the cantilever racking system that are mounted above the base on the floor that supports the arms from one end.
- Base: The bases are usually bolted or welded on. The base offers stability and support to the uprights as the upright is directly connected to the base.
- Arms: Arms are the cantilever beams that are fixed at one end and required angles as per the requirements of storage.
- Braces: Braces act as the joints which connect the uprights. These are placed between the uprights for more rigidity and support for the structure.
Types of cantilever racks
There are two types of cantilever racking system:
- Roll formed cantilever rack: Roll formed cantilever racks made of cold-rolled steel components which are attached via teardrop shaped holes and corresponding connectors designed to store various products and equipment. Roll formed cantilever racks have a high-capacity and multi-level structure. Roll formed racks are easy to assemble, reconfigure or adjust and are cost-effective.
- Structural cantilever rack: Structural cantilever racks are made of structural steel I-beams and its arms are connected to columns using a four-bolt attachment. If you need a heavy duty cantilever racking for high traffic areas then structural racking is preferable as it is capable of withstanding forklift collisions.
Advantages and disadvantages of using cantilever racks.
Advantages of using cantilever racks
Here are some of the benefits of cantilever racks:
- Cantilever racking is easy to install and can be easily expandable.
- Different shaped products from long lumber to huge pipes can be stored.
- The angle of arms and height of the cantilever racking system can be adjusted in order to accommodate the requirements of different products and materials of varying shapes and sizes.
- Saves more space in the warehouse due to compact size and less material.
- Cantilever racking can also be used as a single side racking if attached to the walls or a double side racking with the help of I-beam.
Disadvantages of using cantilever racks
Along with the advantages there are also some downside of cantilever racking such as:
- The initial cost for the installation of racking can be high.
- Heavy-duty or structural racking requires more care and a forklift for ease of operation.
- Can be adjusted only by dissembling the arms of the racking system.